Ancient Airs and Dances (Italian: Antiche arie e danze) is a set of three orchestral suites by Italian composer Ottorino Respighi, freely transcribed from original pieces for lute. In addition to being a renowned composer and conductor, Respighi was also a notable musicologist. His interest in Italian music of the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries led him to compose works inspired by the music of these periods.
- Balletto: "Il Conte Orlando" (Simone Molinaro, 1599)
- Gagliarda (Vincenzo Galilei, 1550s)
- Villanella (anonymous, end of 16th century)
- Passo mezzo e mascherada (anonymous, end of 16th century)
Suite No. 2 (1923)Suite No. 2, P 138 was composed in 1923. It was based on pieces for lute, archlute, and viol by Fabritio Caroso, Jean-Baptiste Besard, Bernardo Gianoncelli, and an anonymous composer. It also includes an aria attributed to Marin Mersenne.
- Laura soave: balletto con gagliarda, saltarello e canario (Fabritio Caroso)
- Danza rustica (Jean-Baptiste Besard)
- Campanae parisienses (anonymous) & Aria (attributed to Marin Mersenne)
- Bergamasca (Bernardo Gianoncelli, 1650)
Suite No. 3 (1932)Suite No. 3, P 172 was composed in 1932. It differs from the previous two suites in that it is arranged for strings only and somewhat melancholy in overall mood. It is based on lute songs by Besard, a piece for baroque guitar by Ludovico Roncalli, and lute pieces by Santino Garsi da Parma and additional anonymous composers.
- Italiana (Anonymous: Italiana (Fine sec.XVI) - Andantino)
- Arie di corte (Jean-Baptiste Besard: Arie di corte (Sec.XVI) - Andante cantabile - Allegretto - Vivace - Slow with great expression - Allegro vivace - Vivacissimo - Andante cantabile)
- Siciliana (Anonymous: Siciliana (Fine sec.XVI) - Andantino)
- Passacaglia (Lodovico Roncalli: Passacaglia (1692) - Maestoso - Vivace)
Piano reductionsThe Ancient Airs and Dances first two suites were freely transcribed by the composer for piano (2 and 4 hands).
- Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No.1, Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No.2, Antiche danze et arie per liuto, Suite No.3: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project